Monday, July 13, 2015

Travel Day 5 (Salute)


Happiness reigns. There is a generous amount of grandparently cajoling going on, but happiness pretty much reigns. It is our Great Experiment, and we watch it strangely working.



You see, there are no parents with us this trip, only grandparents, aunts and uncles, and the elder cousin (the tall and vastly accommodating). It has given us all a fresh appreciation of what young mothers and fathers do on a daily basis. It is awesome. We SALUTE YOU.

Everyday there are a plethora of decisions to be made and interruptions to be noticed, dirty clothes to be separated from clean, squabbles to settle. Of this kind of thing there is no end. But at the end of the day, happiness happily reigns.


One morning very early I felt a strange presence hovering somewhere near my face. I ignored it but it did not move. Something tapped my arm. Finally I groggily opened one eye and saw two big eyes looking into it. "I need go potty!" the urgent voice said. "Whaa..?" I mumbled.

"I-NEED-GO-POTTY!"

I sprang to action, in confusion and fear that the others would wake up (almost nothing could be worse). But I wisely stayed quiet, not entering into any kind of conversation and not answering questions. After we finished this small chore, I mutely indicated the bed, and into it he crawled. Silence.

I've learned a thing or two along the way, you see. Survival techniques. I don't think I'm done yet, either. Someone said yesterday that even people in their 80s still worry most about their children - who are probably retired. Good grief! This must never, actually, end. 

But then again, I don't want it to, do you? We've still got a good long ways to go.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady














No comments:

Post a Comment