Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Rings


The SconeLady's left hand was awfully bare. At age 23, diamonds for me were still only dreams.

Today, that age seems almost girlish - a mere fledgling! But in the 1970s it was different. And so I gazed down at my bare left hand, and wondered.

It wasn't as though there had been no suitors. There had! But there are so many things to consider when you consider 60 or 70 years with a person. You must be poised and ready "to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part." It would be Holy Matrimony, the only kind I was interested in.

So. Vows. Who could I speak such vows to? Not: who is going to present me with a diamond?! Well, you can see how thoughtful such a decision would be. And so, one waits, and prays.

I can now look back to the great day that brought such a person into my life like a flash of bright color. The ring we chose was an outward symbol of this love, and I remember sitting in church just gazing in awe at it (in between gazing at him!). The big lights shone down and made it sparkle so much that I couldn't take my eyes off of it. It was the sweetest thing.

Today you can take a look at that ring, still shining on the hand that doesn't quite look the same as it might have then. But I don't mind. So many dishes have been washed over the years that something was bound to crack!

A few days ago I met three absolutely adorable new wives. They had been married for only a few short months. Their enthusiasm toward their husbands was so sweet that we all just had to laugh. It was lovely to bask in the newness of their journey with them. They let me take a photo of their new rings:



It felt nice to stand with such stunning new members of this long and cherished tradition, to congratulate and cheer them on. Such commitments make us all a little stronger.






So here's to all those of you out there who are laying your own plans; finding your own venue; planning your vows; getting good counsel; and making numerous calls to your mothers! God bless you. We pray for you along your new pathway and are ourselves honored through it.


See you along the Way!
the SconeLady

No comments:

Post a Comment