Friday, July 31, 2015

Morning Raspberry and Almond Muffins


The muffins are in the oven, but I can tell you right now that there were problems. I don't know if they will be even half as pretty as friend Rosie's were yesterday, but they will probably taste divine.

Everybody knows that mornings are the right and proper time for muffins. And on any normal day, these muffins would have long ago been made. But here it is, 6:27 pm and they are only just now baking! But oh, dear Readers, they are smelling awfully nice, and I can hardly wait to make their acquaintance. Just a few minutes more, and I will.

In the meantime, I shall give you the recipe. It is in British, not American measurements so I will add those just in case. *It was here that I had the first of my afore-mentioned troubles. Because as I did not realize, there are tons of websites out there that will give you the conversions. But much to my dismay none of them matched each other - and Rosie, over the Pond in England, was already sleeping! I didn't want to take the time to figure out which conversion site was the best. 



First clue of good baking: Whatever you do, don't rush it.



In the end I came up with a batter that did seem the right consistency and tasted really great (I suppose with one cup of sugar it's bound to be smashing). Here is friend Rosie's recipe, with my conversions in bold:


Raspberry & Almond Muffins

Makes 12

325g(11oz) self -raising flour (2 2/3 cups)
225g(8oz)) caster sugar (1 cup)
1tsp baking powder
50g(2oz) blanched chopped almonds (1/2 cup)
2 eggs
100g(4oz) butter,melted + more for tin(optional) (7/8 cup)
284ml carton of buttermilk (1.2 cups)
½ tsp almond extract
150g(5oz) fresh raspberries +few extra (I love raspberries) (one heaping cup)
Method

Preheat oven to 200deg C/180 C fan/gas6 (370F). Butter or line a 12 hole deep muffin tin. (I use muffin cases)

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and two thirds of the chopped almonds in a bowl

In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, the 100g(4oz) of melted butter, buttermilk and almond extract and whisk until blended.

Pour liquid on to the flour mixture and mix until smooth (being careful not to overbeat)

Stir in the raspberries.

Spoon into the prepared muffin tin, sprinkle with remaining almonds and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins until risen and golden brown.

These can be made up to 3 days ahead and refreshed in moderate oven for 10mins to serve. They also freeze very well.




*My second trouble happened at the raspberries.


Do you love raspberries, too? So do I! But you wouldn't know it because I FORGOT TO ADD THEM TO THE BATTER. At the very last second, before placing them into the oven I saw the raspberries sitting there, innocently minding their business. What to do! I couldn't pour the batter back into the bowl without making an unbelievable mess. So I just picked the berries up one at a time, and poked them into the individual muffins by hand. Still messy, but OK. About 4 raspberries made it inside each muffin.


 And so now, TA-DA!! Here are the finished muffins:


Not quite the same as friend Rosie's. I ended up having quite a bit more batter, which probably means I guessed wrong on the conversions. Oh well! At least I was right about one thing, about which the SconeLady's husband agrees: 

They taste divine!


Friend Rosie's Morning Raspberry and Almond Muffins


I do hope you try them, my friends. If you find a good solid conversion chart and do that up right, you won't be sorry. Every recipe that comes from our SconeTherapy Norfolk kitchens will please your family every time.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady

No comments:

Post a Comment