Monday, April 27, 2015

Just The Way You Are


"But why can't my rolly-polly go into Jack-in-a-Box with me Grandma?" he said, looking tragic. He had found and carried it a good long distance, and was loathe now to give it up.

"Umm, well they don't like creatures to come into restaurants. Only humans are allowed."

This seemed to satisfy, and so he found an appropriate leaf upon which to place his 'creature', and left it in the bushes. As to whether or not it would be there when we came out was up for debate (if I were it, I would scoot).

They both ordered their food articulately, expressing exactly the items required, and the accoutrements (saying "Please" and "Thank you" politely). As we trooped over to the long window seat, a familiar song began to play. I knew it, but couldn't...quite...oh! Could it be? Was it? Yes - BRUNO MARS! There can hardly be anything better than eating with two preschoolers at a Jack-in-a-Box while listening to Bruno Mars. There we sat waiting for the food, looking out at the traffic, with Grandma swaying back and forth to the music like some teenager. One or two patrons stared.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24281144@N02/6867715201


Both children looked at me wide eyed, and I said:

"Well OK, I am happy because God has blessed me with YOU." They smiled. "And because this song is about a man who loves his wife just the way she is."

I couldn't believe I knew something as up-to-date as what Bruno Mars might be singing to his wife. Bruno, who was not the Beatles, nor the Beach Boys, nor Simon and Garfunkel. They were then. He is now. Sometimes somebody new bursts onto the scene, and steals it. Bruno had sung his heart out with this song at the Super Bowl Halftime Show, and wow-ed us all:

When I see your face, there's not a thing that I would change
Cause you're amazing just the way you are.
And when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for awhile,
Cause girl you're amazing, just the way you are.
-song by Bruno Mars

The 3-year-old started swaying to the song, and we both laughed. Maybe people looked at us a bit like we were crazy, but we didn't care. And then the food came, and we ate, and we watched the cars in the drive-through line, and we walked back home.



Small sweet things can happen to you when you include small sweet people in your lives. My own Grandma Ida walked downtown with me those many years ago, to help me pick out a favorite cake mix. I don't remember just what we talked about, but whatever it was, she was interested. Didn't sigh hugely and check her watch. Didn't hurry me along, thinking she had something better to do. And then we walked back home and baked the thing. She was there all the way.

I will never forget her. Ever. She loved me just the way I was.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady






photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24281144@N02/6867715201">Bruno Mars wears Benjamin Eyewear "Nicole" to the 2012 Grammy Awards</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">(license)</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment