Thursday, April 2, 2015

Cornwall, Day 30 (A Thursday to Remember)


Another red letter day!

At its beginning was, of course, the delicious chocolate croissant we have all come to expect. And at its end, I got to watch and listen to the most interesting television spectacle: the United Kingdom political debates! Did you see them? You really should.

But the real reason it was a red letter day is due to a wonderful visitor. Someone who is fun, and funny, and sweet. Not to mention, clever - in fact, a Doctor of Psychology! And how did I come to have such a brilliant visitor as she? Because friend Rosie is her mother. Hooray!

For 4 days I will have the privilege of this visit, within which time we plan to do a lot of walking and a whole lot of writing. She is writing, I am writing. It keeps us both focussed. After one such writing session we decided to escape to the out-of-doors, and walk some of the beauty of this spot. There was a lot to catch up on. I told her all about meeting Grace Hall, co-author of the amazing 'Little Book of Scones', and she was quite astonished! I even became re-astonished as I told the tale. Then she told me about her work, and her family, and the walk went by in no time flat.

I was treated to a delicious meal at (guess where!) The Sloop Inn, former hangout of Rosie, Ted, and the SconeLady in bygone days. And then the church bells rang, calling on all to come, who wish to. For it was Maundy Thursday and the Last Supper, fifth day of Holy Week, to be followed by Good Friday. And more, much more, to come.

As I came through the door after this, the political debates were in full swing. I cannot remember everyone's name, but there were quite a few debaters up there. It seemed like everyone had good points to make but no one believed in anyone else's points, and then it looked as though everyone was reacting mostly to Nigel Farage. And then they got irked at David Cameron and began blaming him for everything. I learned a lot. I wouldn't exactly call the debates riveting, but they were more interesting than our own knock-down, drag-out affairs.

At the end, we finished off the apple crumble, had a talk with Rosie by phone, and fell exhausted into our beds. It's a lot for one day.

And maybe I was wrong about the debates and just don't understand British politics. One thing is for sure, though. The women involved did a smashing job. It's too bad they probably won't become prime minister, even though a lot of people wish they would. 

It might be fun to change things up, for once. It's been an awfully long time since Maggie.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady

No comments:

Post a Comment