"Previously, on Downton Abbey..," came the measured tones of our faithful Masterpiece presenter. Something about the sound of her voice draws me in as scenes from last week's episode flash before me. And then that music begins, that doggie walks along, and I am caught up in the drama that is Downton Abbey.
This time I think I heard Mr Bricker say something rude like "Not every man would be as blind as YOU!" to Lord Grantham. He should probably not have said that, or anything like that, even if the statement itself might have been a bit - true. I think that Mr Bricker learned a valuable lesson here: Do not mess with Lord Grantham (or his wife).
And along with Bates' accidental but dramatic discovery, the card game between the Dowagers, the horrid medical treatments for Thomas, and the sad but dramatic ending, it was a very busy time for everyone over at Downton. And that isn't even counting the point-to-point horse race! I could hardly keep up. Among the other juicy tidbits, we had:
- unpleasant news for Edith (sad)
- a darling baby for Edith (glad!)
- an inheritance for Edith
- Bates finds something and gets a shock (shouldn't have looked)
- the Dowager Countess's ridiculous new maid (I know this is a First World Problem, but - really.)
- someone's in love with the Dowager! (lucky fellow)
- someone else is in love with Isobel! (ditto above)
- Hitler looms ever nearer
- Spratt and Denker do the laundry together (bad idea)
- Bates is angry at Anna and Anna is angry at Bates
- Mary's hair!
- please tell me the doggie is alright. Please?
And finally, upon seeing a Lady riding a horse straddle-style, the following comments were made by our darling Dowagers:
Isobel: "I think she's splendid!"
the Dowager Countess: I think she's cracked."
Either way, splendid or 'cracked', change is coming to Downton Abbey, and you'd better hang on to your saddles.
See you along the way!
photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/chi_bellami/6268722278/">Chi Bellami</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>
photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042507@N00/2352372381">at the races</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/">(license)</a>