This is the day that I:
- had a fresh croissant from the corner market, with coffee at my own sweet kitchen table
- heard a strange pinging noise on the roof and peeked out to find a freakish HAIL falling from the skies
- walked along the harbor half an hour later to suddenly be surprised by a sky of immense and gleaming blue
- struck up a conversation with two friendly British ladies whose husbands are in southern California ("Where are they?" I asked. "Laguna Beach - and it was 82F there today! They keep rubbing it in and we are supremely jealous," they replied cheerfully)
- walked with joy along the heights and depths that are St Ives Cornwall
- suddenly remembered I had forgotten to watch two episodes of Downton Abbey!
- forgot how early it was back home and Face Timed the rather stunning (and sleepy) son, and saw that he was happy with me anyway
- bought the most delicious block of Cadbury's Chocolate. And...
- stood inside an ancient church building, gazing out at the sweetest view of the day (see above)
It had taken me 5 days, but today I all-at-once knew that I'd been walking on the wrong side of the roadways/walkways the entire time because I forgot I was an American and everybody else here isn't and pedestrians and vehicles were all becoming bunched up and confused and waiting for me to GET A CLUE.
You see, the streets and avenues here are teeny-tiny and there's just NO ROOM to dither with. And everyone is so completely polite here that they don't scold. I love this place! Back home I would have been honked at and probably yelled at and there would have been no end of a row.
But I've figured it out now. And tomorrow there will be a visit to The Digey Food Rooms, where I am certain to find the finest scone baker in all of Cornwall.
Porthminster Beach, St Ives
23 Feb 2015
See you along the way!