Thursday, October 31, 2013

If It Hadn't Been for the Weather

What might you have done, if it hadn't been for the weather? Might you have gone running down the road, instead of sprawling  upon a recliner and being oh-so-bored? Or even, might you have been playing out there with the kids, instead of inside yelling at them?

(Not to imply that you would yell.)

But if it hadn't been for the weather, we might have done any number of fabulously swell things. But we will blame this sort of not-doing-it, upon Weather.

I learned quite a lot about Weather (not just about scones), living in England. I learned that you can like It. That you cannot slip into the habit of doing this, or doing that, based upon It. It cannot be based upon; It will do its own thing, and you must do yours.

When we moved last year to a very cold, wintry place, we scratched together all our wintry gear, bought what we did not have, and strode forth. Upon arrival, these items were immediately needed, and immediately used. We (rather, should I say 'I'? my poor husband...) piled on the layers, and off we (I) went. We (I) walked many miles a day, and came back to cheery fires.

Weather cannot be allowed to rule us.

Four days ago we returned to this place after a lengthy absence. Weather had become inhospitable again; but, out came the sweaters, out came the layers, the gloves, the ear muffs, the hood, the walking sticks, the thick boots with thick tread, the heavy coats, and the scarves.

So. Watch for me! I'll be out there, trudging along, mile upon mile, maybe not enjoying, but accepting, the Weather.

See you along the way!
the SconeLady


1 comment: