Thursday, October 3, 2013

Here's to Rain, Scones, and New Friends!

I didn't realize cows could be so pretty. But apperantly they can. It was just beginning to sprinkle on my head when I rounded a bend in the path, finding myself face-to-face with these gorgeous creatures:


And I couldn't go around; there was nowhere else to go but through that gate. Which I finally did, after much hesitation. A walking tour is not for the faint-hearted.

What with all the rain (became a downpour) and wind (umbrella inside out) and steep hills (words cannot describe), there was nothing for it but to find the nearest pub.

The pub was posh; it's patrons were well dressed, spoke graciously, and the ambiance was decidedly upscale; into this subdued atmosphere stumbled this - this drowned rat! Heads turned. Subdued chatter paused. I asked the nearby waiter for a pot of tea.

After a pause, a trio of patrons asked where I was walking to, and immediately said, 'We will give you a ride.' It was a statement, not a question. To shorten this story, I want you to know that these 3 people are now my friends. They want to visit us in the States; they invited us to visit them here on our next trip. The day was saved. When they dropped me off, we waved like old friends. Like my daughter says, the funnest part of traveling Europe is the wonderful people you meet!

AND for my scone-loving friends, I had one today - a really really good one, in the village of Chipping Campden. Another 10! Warmed, tea in porcelain, jam, cream, butter! They do a fabulous cream tea there at Badger's Hall. See the deliciousness, below:

Must dash - but I hope to see you along the way!

the SconeLady

2 comments:

  1. At last! I was beginning to think scones were outlawed in parts of England. How nice to find new friends in a tea-room. Even as a 'drowned rat' you looked like new friend material to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to have a lovely cream tea tomorrow as well! What can be better than Cornish? We are loving it here!

    ReplyDelete