Monday, October 21, 2013

Life as a Scone Lady, part 1

For a very, very long time I have held a fascination with scones. May I tell you of my first encounter? It was 1972! I had flown the long miles to Auckland, New Zealand, to live at a Bible School, and was learning the ropes. Having arrived on an early Sunday morning, I had a few days of strange jet lags, but began waking up on the Wednesday.

That day the school cook baked the most delicious things she called 'scones'. I had not heard of a scone before this, but the Canadian girl sitting next to me had. So had the Fijian across the table, and the Australian down at the end. But my new American friends and I had not had that privilege.

Admittedly, the scones were served only with butter and jam, not whipped cream or clotted. But they were fresh from the ovens and oh, so kindly warmed. A great sensation these caused! A sensation that has never left me, and I daresay the other Americans Joyce, Donna, and Peter.

There followed one full year of Scones. On a Wednesday. Upon arriving home, I did not venture to seek or to bake any further scone-ish delights, for college and normal life beckoned, a life which did not include those dear Wednesday treats.

It was not until husband and Air Force intervened, and a move was made to England. Whereupon, I rediscovered the Scone! Eventually I tried making and baking them myself, with mixed results. But I found that cream would be the absolute dream-maker of any lovely cream tea. And I became hooked.

Have you any stories to tell of scones? Do you love to eat them? To bake them? To serve them?

I do!

See you along the way!
the SconeLady


No comments:

Post a Comment