Wednesday, September 16, 2015

What To Do On A Rainy Day


I am headed toward the land of Rain, it is true. And I am prepared for it, being a thirsty Californian who knows how to appreciate liquid skies. And yesterday, I had a bit of a preview.

It was a lovely way to wake up - the dawn gradually creeping in through the windows, a breeze reminiscent of fall, and accompanied by - a strange sound. I lay there listening, struggling to open both eyes until finally I understood the noise... was suddenly alert ... thrilled ... nearly hysterical. For it was RAIN!! We who had for so long been without, were suddenly deluged

I couldn't get out of doors fast enough, grabbing up the umbrella to go out there and just stand in it. Let it sprinkle my face, even my hair (ever so briefly, of course), in huge gratitude for the cool comfort it brought. Others were out there, standing as I stood, feeling the thrill a thirsty man feels when someone kind has handed him a cool drink. We smiled, quietly, and went back into our homes.

All of this delicious coolness propelled me toward my kitchen, and especially toward the oven. I wouldn't settle for any cold breakfast this day, oh no. It would be something piping hot. Something I could mix together and create and pour into tins. It would be MUFFINS!

I scrounged through the many cupboard recipes in search of the perfect morsel, and found these!

They are called sweet muffins, and that (as you will certainly see) is exactly what they turned out to be. This recipe does not mention blueberries in its ingredient list, but it does recommend them later on the page - as well as apples, cranberries, oranges, and raspberries. Not all at the same time, mind. But within various batches.

As I was in a bit of a hurry to eat (the rain has that effect on the SconeLady), I did not really follow the instructions carefully. Just threw everything in, and mixed it up willy-nilly with a spoon. I grabbed up my fresh blueberries and tossed them in willy-nilly as well. Threw them into the oven, and 25 minutes later, out they came looking stunning.

You should know right now that I doubled the recipe above. So THAT is why the muffins are justly named 'sweet' muffins. A full cup of sugar will do that, and it will make a fan out of every husband who ever tries them. Guaranteed  Just as the muffins are about half way baked, I predict that you will hear your man coming down the stairs, wondering what on earth that wonderful aroma is.

It's the way to a man's heart, you know.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady












No comments:

Post a Comment