Friday, September 11, 2015

About Those Cucumbers


At Woburn Abbey a person will likely be served delicious cucumber sandwiches. Cucumber sandwiches are my second favorite portion of an afternoon tea (scones are first, of course) because they are so fresh. Cucumbers themselves are the epitome of freshness, don't you think? In fact, I think it is possible to become addicted to cucumbers. It sounds funny now, but I did become addicted to them - for a time! We lived in Hawaii, and fresh fruits and vegetables were simply everywhere. I enjoyed up to seven cucumbers many days. I just could not get enough of them.

You see, going on liquid diets never appealed much to me because I thought so highly of chewing. Diets with chewing involved were the only sensible kind, in my opinion. The SconeLady hardly ever goes on any kind of a diet anymore, but as a much younger person I tried quite a few of them.

There is nothing quite like a peeled, sliced cucumber when one is hungry and dieting. Their texture and taste are unequaled. I peeled and sliced a bunch of them one day, when we were going to fly to California. But when the ticket agent saw that I was carrying a bag filled with seven of them nicely sliced, he said I was not allowed to have them on the plane, and would I please place them on the counter?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63117276@N00/202747544
I froze. On the counter? This was horrible but it seemed there was no choice, and so - reluctantly - I obeyed. It was a tough moment. Someone claims I even begged my young son later to go get them back for me. I am sure this could not possibly be true, but it is a family tradition to say it is..

Not long after this episode I suddenly (wisely) hit the wall regarding cucumbers. My tongue somehow had had enough of them, and rebelled. It was several years before I could look one squarely in the eye again.

I don't know exactly where I am going with this one, except to sing the praises of a cucumber and cream cheese sandwich. On white bread. Without crusts. And with a little bit of lettuce included. There is nothing like it, especially when it is piled onto a tri-plate stand also filled with tea cakes, scones, and other tea delights, next to a pot of hot Assam tea.

And I will never, ever reveal to a ticket agent that I am bearing cucumbers. Ever, again.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady



photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/63117276@N00/202747544">cucumbers</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/">(license)</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment