Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Counting Daily Down


My airline of choice has just this moment alerted me as to all sorts of interesting travel reminders! They have emailed me the exact number of days, hours, minutes and seconds I have until I can do online check-in. This is very handy, of course, because I may forget to check in online, and if I forget to check in online and then end up at the airport, there could be a substantial line waiting for me there. And that will waste time. As well, there may be only the loneliest most desolate seat left on the massive aircraft for little me - something right next to the loo, perhaps, or at the very back of the craft where the galley is and therefore the clattering of coffee pots, drinks, and the running of water disturbing my slumbers. For these reasons, the Nanny-State airline is perfectly correct in their nannying.

Gee, I wonder how I ever travelled before all of this 'help' became available. I never, ever, missed a flight, or forgot to check in, or left a passport behind. It's utterly miraculous.

In the meantime, I have cleared up at least one niggling travel problem. I think. Rick Steves encourages his listening audience to bring only carry on bags on an airline trip. This is especially difficult for the women, who almost always need to check their bags. One reason for this  checking of bags is the everlasting problem of our liquids. We bring many liquids on a trip of any length, items such as shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, moisturizers, makeup foundation (all of which can be categorized as 'product'), and so on. That is all fine and good, but these items are almost always over the 3.4 oz. limit for your carry-on bags. So I scrounged around for a solution:


Our local Marshalls Department Store has these delightful small squishy bottles that you can use to put your liquids into, therefore complying with the liquids limit. I purchased several and have now poured my existing shampoo, etc, into them. Nice! For the hairspray I purchased a miniature spray bottle, just perfectly suited for all of my hair needs.

Of course, it may be that the bag turns out to be too heavy, or too large, or too something, and I will have to check it on anyway. But I would really really like not to do that. As Rick Steves says, PACK LIGHT, and carry your baggage. You'll be the first to leave the airport, the first to reach your destination, the first to relax and gear up for your inevitable jet lag, in comfort. And for me, that 'comfort' will be in the gracious home and hospitality of friend Rosie. 

I can already feel a cup of her tea coming on. Utter bliss.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady








No comments:

Post a Comment