Saturday, January 10, 2015

Goodbye's Don't Last Forever


Here I sit, eating delicious Hawaiian Meatballs with rice, while thinking about Mr Chips. 

Most teachers have been inspired in some way toward the classroom, and for me, the inspiration came from the austere and lonely figure of Mr Chips. Perhaps we all grew up with him, but just don't hear very much about him anymore. 

I can remember seeing the old film, "Goodbye, Mr Chips", and crying over it. I was only little, but something about him drew me in. He sort of scared me, but also inspired me in some strange way. I didn't forget Mr Chips, because no one can ever really forget him once they know.


"Goodbye, Mr. Chips" was published as a book in 1934, describing 'Mr Chipping' as a brand new school teacher at the British boarding school of Brookfield. He was rigid; conventional; pedantic; and a strict disciplinarian whom the students feared and then came to love. 

My favorite version of this story is the film made in 1969, starring Peter O'Toole and Petula Clark. Have you seen it? It is terrific! And the figure of Peter O'Toole striding along the quadrangle in his robe was simply perfect. What part, you might ask, did Petula Clark play in this worthy film? You must find out! You must see it. It isn't on Netflix watch instantly, but that is about as far as I have gotten in my search. Do take a look for it.

In the meantime, my favorite song from the film is on youtube, so allow me to just set the stage for you a bit. Mr Chipping spends his school holiday in Europe and meets Katherine, who soon become his wife. On their first day back at Brookfield School, the faculty and students begin the morning with the school song - "Fill The World With Love". 

Take a listen. It is the sweetest thing.


When the film was released, some reviewers called it 'unabashedly sentimental', yet still gave it a high score. There is something truly undeniable about its message. It is a refreshing change from just about anything else you might see on the screen right about now. And I, personally, am unabashedly grateful for it.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW407rJUqVA


Fill The World With Love
words and music by Leslie Bricusse

In the morning of my life I shall look to the sunrise.
At a moment in my life when the world is new.
And the blessing I shall ask is that God will grant me,
To be brave and strong and true, 
And to fill the world with love my whole life through.

(Chorus)
And to fill the world with love
And to fill the world with love
And to fill the world with love my whole life through

In the noontime of my life I shall look to the sunshine,
At a moment in my life when the sky is blue.
And the blessing I shall ask shall remain unchanging.
To be brave and strong and true,
And to fill the world with love my whole life through

(Chorus)

In the evening of my life I shall look to the sunset,
At a moment in my life when the night is due.
And the question I shall ask only I can answer.
Was I brave and strong and true?
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?

(Chorus)


photo credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/dukeunivlibraries/5412891829/">DukeUnivLibraries</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment