Monday, November 24, 2014

My Comfort Food of Choice


One of the funnest bits about travel in England is the experience of its food. Indulging in food anywhere will be fun, but in a foreign country it is especially so. And one really ought not to skimp on it.

My sister has visited England with me, as well as New Zealand. These great distances cost us some money, and as a result we become squeamish to spend much on meals. We now realize this need not have happened; we need not have skimped - one must eat, after all. But we both budgeted strictly, because that seems to be a habit of ours.

Yet even with all of this frugality, we loved what we did eat. For instance, I learned early on of an especially tasty bit of food that might not be extravagant. Soup. Soup is readily available everywhere in England (and New Zealand), and is usually deliciously home made. Therefore soup became a staple, something we could always fall back upon when the pounds and pence seemed to fade.

All of this experience of British soups made me search for some right here at home. And I found one! It is Italian Sausage, Kale & Sweet Potato Soup (the very words made my mouth just now water). You, too, can find this delight in this sweet woodland town. If you do make your way here, request it - the taste, the texture is guaranteed to astound and amaze. We now live 1,000 miles away, but will always grab a bowl of it whenever we visit. I did so, today. Take a look:

Italian Sausage, Kale & Sweet Potato Soup
(is it not gorgeous?!)


I also absolutely love the fact that you can always find a bowl of homemade soup + homemade bread in the menus of Cornwall. 5 pounds will get you this yummy treat, and who can't spare the occasional 5 pounds? There is a pet phrase for this, in England: 'Value for Money'.

I highly recommend it.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady

No comments:

Post a Comment