Sunday, November 2, 2014

London's Borough Market


"It's called Borough Market, and you have GOT to see it!"

It was September, in London. Warm. Lovely. Free of responsibilities, I could go and see anything at all. At a loss, I asked Rosie to recommend something I might like. She right away urged me to wander around London's 'most renowned food market'. 

"There are all kinds of sweet little shops, fresh produce, home baked bread and pastries. Breakfast would be just the thing, you'll love it!"

It sounded interesting, and I was getting hungry. Coming off the Underground, I saw it in all its glory:


https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/14128106270/


For the longest time, I just wandered about in awe. My daughter would love this! Fresh produce galore, organic and delicious, and somewhere very near there was the aroma of fresh baking breads. I followed this aroma until I found its source. 




There was a line of people who had had my same idea, and I went over to join them. "This is going to take forever," I heard one American girl say in dismay. But her friend, a Londoner, disputed this disheartening thought. "Just you wait - they've got it figured, and we'll be eating in no time."

This felt encouraging, so I stayed in the line and soon found myself facing a very friendly waitress, ready to find whatever it was I wanted. She took my drink order (Americano) and when I said, "and also a croissant.." she directed me to where I might choose my own croissant. "Oh - and..butter? Jam?" I continued, determined to get it all out at once.

"Right over there, Miss. On the table."


So the way it works is, you get your coffee or tea, take it to the table (a very long, rustic looking one), put it down, then go pick out your croissant. It is already warm, by some magic of timing. At last, once you have your coffee and your pastry, you find the butter and the jam there on the table, to use at your leisure. There were several people already at this table and I felt a little shy about just grabbing the butter and jam willy-nilly. But the gentleman next to me reached out a long arm to get/use it, so I lost my inhibitions and followed his lead.

It was all very delicious. Oddly, there were also baguettes in the middle of our table, cut and ready anytime anybody wanted one. The gentleman next to me felt that he wanted one, several times. And he did have rather a long arm.. But I was content with just my croissant.

And then it was time to go. I was anticipating another Cream Tea and wanted to walk the streets for a couple of hours first. So much food! So little time!

As I gathered up my bag and iPhone, I noticed that the gentleman next to me felt the need of another coffee. Up went his hand, toward a waitress. "Hello m'luv", he said with confidence. "Might I order another cup of coffee, please?"

I departed just as he received his coffee, diving right back in to yet another delicious baguette. I wondered, why had I not bagged myself one of those? You only live once.

So I lost my inhibitions and, once again, followed his lead.



See you along the way!
the SconeLady





















photo credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/14128106270/">garryknight</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/">cc</a>

photo credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/25408600@N00/63160242/">NordicLondon</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment