We were going through ancient boxes in the garage, again. Boxes the children love to dig in and find old treasures of Grandma and Grandpa. But there was one obscure Rubbermaid container sort of abandoned in the corner, not yet explored. A legendary box, so to speak. Sitting on the top, as I opened it, was a dusty old license plate. My dusty old license plate. The girl who put that plate in that box (or some earlier cardboard version) watched the events of that Year with surprise, and amazement.
It was a Happening year, and we knew it. Here are just a few notables that the SconeLady noticed as they sped by:
- Elvis Presley makes his surprising Comeback
- Golda Meir becomes first female Prime Minister of Israel (yay!)
- The United States lands men on the Moon
- John and Yoko get married (I don't remember if I cared about this..)
- The EPA is created (I didn't care about this)
- President Nixon begins the first draw down of troops in Vietnam
- The SconeLady waits tables in Virginia City while listening to the news of Chappaquiddick..
- Manson family members carry out the Tate-LaBianca murders to everyone's utter horror
- Woodstock (I didn't even know this was happening!)
- The birth of the ATM (didn't know and absolutely didn't care)
- The Brady Bunch! (cared)
- The Vietnam War Moratorium (went)
- Muammar Gaddafi stages a coup in Libya
- Sesame Street!
- The Draft (we all cared)
Now lurking somewhere in that same box are other memories, and it is exciting to anticipate going through it. I haven't looked in there for years! But I must be watchful, for sometimes you like being reminded; and other times? maybe not so much.
But I will look, and recall, taking the good with the not-so. Everyone looks backward with some trepidation. Best to hold tight to Mercy; Grace; Forgiveness; Charity.
See you along the way!
photo credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/classicvintage/9280892364/">Film Star Vintage</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>
photo credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeshlabotnik/3029811823/">Joe Shlabotnik</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>