Saturday, January 4, 2014

Surfing, Mothering. A Day.

It is great fun being a mom. Or, a mum - whichever suits you. I suppose I am both, for one child was born in California, the other in Cambridge, England. But both are amazing. Sparkle, kindness, confidence, all these and more. It is great fun!

The morning began knowing that I would spend the day with the rather dazzling son, a surfer and film editor. Also, I knew I would end the day with the lovely daughter, communications graduate, blogger extraordinaire. Also, a Mom. Capital M, please note.

The surfing son would meet me near LA, grab his board and pack me off to Manhattan Beach for the morning. The day was glorious, just the clearest and most beautiful time for surfing and watching with camera at the ready. 

There was ONE GLITCH. En route, I was the receptor of a TRAFFIC TICKET FOR CELL PHONE USE. Yes! Please realize I was not talking on the phone; I was not texting on the phone! I was listening to the GPS (Siri, my new best friend) and briefly picked the phone up to draw it just a BIT CLOSER TO MY EAR. At that very moment I noticed the police car. *ahem*.

Turning away for the moment from this wretched episode, the hours at Manhattan Beach - the surf, the walking and talking, the fabulous lunch, the seeing of the son's new apartment - were splendid.

Driving back (my hand did not stray toward the phone), my mind nosed onward to other sweet moments just ahead. Loving and sympathetic daughter ('A ticket? Oh poor mom!'), 3 small blond heads bobbing up and down to see grandma drive in. Husband, kindly waiting in the background. Oh, to be so welcomed! Nothing compares. 

There were rooms to finish organizing, dinner to be got, and books to be read to eager ears (heads still bobbing). And then, we took the 2 year old and escaped - my daughter commented as we drove away: 'Some people go to a bar. I go to Target!'

Target. Walking, talking, cuddling the 2 year old, picking up odds/ends for the new sewing room. And - laughing out loud. Delicious!

So. For me this was a Red Letter day, to go down in memory I am sure. And I love sharing the simple joy with you, inadequate though my paragraphs may be. You have your own moments in the sun, to treasure. You Know. 

(But - drat all cell phone laws!).


See you along the way!
the SconeLady


No comments:

Post a Comment