Sunday, September 21, 2014

England, Day 7: St Ebbes, and Rosie


I am once again ensconsed in my old room, a room so comfortable and familiar that it's almost home. 

Although many weary wanderers have stayed in this room, been fed beautifully and given numerous pots of tea, I still call this my room. That is the gracious way friend Rosie is toward all who come. 

Shall I describe it for you? As I do, my husband, daughter, sister and others will all remember the details, for they know it well. The walls and bedspreads are of a pale, buttery yellow which is carried into the soft thick draperies. There is a pale green wainscoting, repeated in the crown molding and the carpet. A beautiful wardrobe rests in the right hand corner, reminiscent of beloved Narnia, although a bit more petite. 



Oh wait - am I sounding like the Home & Garden channel? I can't help it! All of it is beautiful and comfortable and welcoming.


England's day 7 began at St Ebbes Church, Oxford. St Ebbes is a lively Church of England filled with joy and faith, whatever the age or race. No one really thinks of age, or race very much, except where it could be helpful to those in need (all of us). The Center of the place is Christ, plain and simple.





So it was lovely to be there! But the SconeLady had to leave early, feeling somewhat poorly, and needing to catch a train. The train ride was not very pleasant! Have you ever been poorly in public? On trains? Along the Underground? With the heat up and windows closed? Well. I shall draw a veil. The experience made the appearance of Rosie and Ted at the station near their home so much the sweeter.

And now it's as if I were royalty or something:

  • A lovely pot of tea upon arrival
  • A fire in the fireplace
  • Sharing memories and catching up on the past year
  • A scalding hot bath in a white claw foot tub
  • Crackers and a caraf of water should any need arise.


Much better than any Home & Garden channel could ever be. 


See you along the way!
the SconeLady

No comments:

Post a Comment