Monday, September 15, 2014

England Day One: Arrival!

They are all so super nice! Our conversation began with a spirited discussion of where we would all plug in our numerous devices - so typical when staying in a place that was also designed well before the devices. This seemed a familiar conversation!

Six women, all travelers, all eager to be connected with home while away. We represent six different countries: Australia. England (Cornwall!). Portugal. The United States. Denmark. And I don't remember the last one. How we all ended up at the same hostel in the same room is anybody's guess, but one thing is for certain- they are all so super nice!

The electronic device situation is hilarious. I came walking rather shyly through the door with an iPhone, iPad, and juice box that needed charging. I stood in the doorway with my hands full, seeing no outlets. The girl from Australia noticed my searching glance and said, "There is only one spot to do it," and she began plugging in my array in a business like manner. She took one of hers out to accommodate mine and said, "I was only topping it off anyway," 

The rather large cluster of devices at one outlet reminded me of something out of the 1940s. Perhaps a horror show, ending in billowing smoke, with a fire. There were at least 3 different adapters (we were, after all from 6 different countries), and one power strip. Mine alone could handle 4 devices so by the time it was all over, everyone was plugged in.


Outside we can hear the bells ringing at St Paul's Cathedral. This room is just across the lane from it.

And now, it's me here in a dark room blogging away because I can't sleep. The Tylenol PM should kick in eventually, but I am reminded that my family is having dinner together and I am missing it. The kiddies are probably climbing all over Grandpa by now. But they are super hot, and I am super comfortable. So there are advantages both ways. 

What fun we will all have, on both sides of the world. I will see Abbey Road, have afternoon tea, and see a most adorable young family friend who will be wonderfully entertaining. I can hardly wait.

But first, there must be sleep. I may need to take Bing Crosby's advice on that one.

And I'll fall asleep, counting my blessings.

See you along the way!
the SconeLady







No comments:

Post a Comment