Wednesday, September 17, 2014

England, Day Three: The Dorchester!


I considered it a business expense, but that may be stretching it just a bit. It doesn't really matter, though, because it was all so delicious. 

I had heard about the afternoon tea at the Dorchester Hotel from listening to Rick Steves on NPR. His British guest, Jillian something, had said it was THE place to be. Since then I have wanted to try it. In the past I have visited The Savoy for an afternoon tea. But this has grown in expense, so I decided to listen to Jillian and try the Dorchester.


Even before the tea was served, the ambience proved it would be worth the expense (did I just say that?). There was an expense, I can't deny it (a mere 45 pounds..), but the taste and the amount of  food surpassed all expectations. The following is what I was served:


  • Assam tea (the best! You have to have some)
  • Finger sandwiches - cucumber/cream cheese, egg and cress, smoked salmon, chicken salad, and turkey with English mustard
  • Three fresh, warm scones with jam and clotted cream
  • French pastries


The waiter was very kind, and hoveringly attentive. There was not one thing I wanted that was not thought of and provided. All the while, a pianist played the most gorgeous and appropriate songs - and I was seated right next to him! That was the icing on the cake.

I did notice that there were quite a few women there, today. There were mothers and daughters, grandmothers and young relatives, ladies in a group, and a married couple. But I happen to know lots of men who would have liked and appreciated every bite of this lovely tea, if only I could have gotten them over here somehow!

Later in the day, I had the privilege of attending St Paul's Cathedral for their sung Evensong. Tomorrow I'll tell you all about it! Simply lovely.

All in all it was a day of spectacular events. But I think I might press 'pause' on the scones, just for a bit. If I don't, I shall be big as a Barn.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady





No comments:

Post a Comment