Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Welcome

Memories can be positive and uplifting - although not all of them are. The sadder memories may have been planted in our minds by events or people we were unable to control. And those are the tough ones to forget.

However, there is a sweet memory that holds my heart as well as my mind. The place we children were loved and encouraged. Our town church.

Because that place has lingered as a positive and uplifting memory, we have always found a church to attend, wherever we may live. My family of four has lived many places in this world, and in each there has been a church to welcome us. They have become our family, in the finest sense.

In the old church of my childhood, the children were almost always with the grownups, sitting in the same church pew, singing in the same choir, learning to play the organ or the piano, or the french horn, from a grownup who cared and took the time. They all knew us, and because of that, there was a network of encouragement that became a web strong and unforgettable.

Have you also found a church that almost seemed a second home, to you? Did you grow up in the company of old and young, who smiled when they saw you coming? I did. And I count myself lucky, oh yes, I do.


On my recent travels to England and back, I made it a point to find and attend as many churches as I reasonably could within the time frame. It was uncanny to walk in and immediately feel that old familiar support coming from the people inside. That same Light was in their eyes, the recognition of Someone bigger than ourselves; unashamed to bend the knee, together acknowledging our need of Him.

May you find that kind of welcome. If you have not yet found it, don't give up; such a place does exist, and you might as well just get on with it. Walk in, shake hands, laugh at a joke, open yourself up to the possibilities.

And I'll hope to see you along the way!
the SconeLady









No comments:

Post a Comment