Sunday, November 3, 2013

Staying at Magdalen

Wikipedia is a wonderful place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there. It offers loveliness in photo form, in poetry or prose, but what it does not offer is the Real Thing.

Before I ventured to Oxford after an absence of many years, I did visit Wikipedia about it. A lot. It was a way to dream which almost felt like experience. Also, I read books about it, or about being in it. A favorite was A Severe Mercy, by Sheldon VanAuken. Could be my favorite book by a non-C.S. Lewis. I would highly recommend you read it, and if you do read it you will probably find your way to Oxford (Real Thing) sooner than expected.

The crucial highlight of experiencing Oxford, for me, was staying at Magdalen College. You probably know that Magdalen was C.S. Lewis' college, and that it finds itself visited by enormous numbers of admirers of Lewis. The porters all know this, and patiently answer questions over and over. Where were Lewis' rooms? Can we see where he ate? Oh - and, where was Shadowlands filmed? We can't find the hotel where he had tea with Joy Gresham. Can you please give us directions to The Kilns? And so on.

Upon my own arrival, the porter was waiting behind the Porter's Lodge desk, gazing kindly at me and handing me my key. He explained that I would have breakfast each morning in the Medieval Hall; that I could come and go as I like, but to please remember that the Lodge door would lock at 10; whereupon use this other, larger key. Yes, and C.S. Lewis' rooms are to be found just behind this building, in the New Building (built beginning in 1733).

And so, the four days in Oxford began.

See you along the way!
the SconeLady

                C.S. Lewis' Rooms (red flowers)
                                                                                              Medieval Hall, Magdalen College         






No comments:

Post a Comment