Saturday, November 16, 2013

Exquisite Planning. Half of the Fun (part 2)

When a girl is reunited with her iPhone, all can be right with the world. And so data, phone calls, texts, podcasts, streaming, iTunes, and face timing were once again at my fingertips. In a word, connection. I can't tell you how essential this was to the well-being of this lonely pilgrim. Family can't be replaced.

And so right away I was in downtown Cambridge seeking a wifi hotspot. Store to store, door to door, no joy! Although I was surrounded by people (they do have a night life there), I felt entirely alone. I stepped expectantly into a shopping center - really, it was a sort of covered-outdoor-mall - trying the iPad again for coverage. If I didn't find it soon, I would end up back at Sydney Sussex College in a tearful pile on my bed.

But suddenly the wifi icon materialized, and I instantly hit FaceTime. All at once the kindest face peered back at me from the iPad! My husband looked exceptionally relieved, as there had been no indication that his wife had safely been deposited and was still breathing.

But I have one thing to say about Data: it wasn't as important as I had given it credit for. You see, back home I used Data a lot while walking 10+ miles each day; listening to the BBC, NPR, All Things Considered, even watching youtube while walking the hours away.


But I found that once in England, I did not want to listen, to watch, to hum along with iTunes.  It was so pretty, and there was so much to look at that I dared not be distracted by someone prattling away into my head.

Also, in another country one must have their wits about them. All eyes must be on deck, or who knew how far off course I might have become!

I am supposed to be discussing how effective good planning is. Well, it is! I can tell you that virtually everything was payed for before I ever went to an airport. And the months of pouring over the possibilities were bliss. I hope to do it again, to find that oh-so-perfect scone again, and to perhaps be less alone when I do it. Already plans are afoot for a duo, or perhaps a trio of travelers, planning, scheming, and dreaming the months away, in anticipation.

See you along the way!
the SconeLady

No comments:

Post a Comment