Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Sweetest Lady!

Every now and then, you come across someone who is truly remarkable. You did not even know that this remarkable person existed, and then you meet them, and things feel differently after that.

The Sweetest Lady is one such person ('Staying at Magdalen, part two', November 3). To expand on the story, I had heard about a certain Church of England in Oxford, for years. I knew it to be a place where the lively life in Christ is taught; where Oxford students come in high numbers; where you can be confident that bringing a friend will not threaten to be an embarrassment to either of you.

So I found this place, and as I approached, the sound of clanging and banging drifted out to where I stood. Hmm. Odd, I thought. Clanging and banging, whatever could that be. I was to discover its source immediately upon entering the place. Everywhere there were people; laughing, hugging, chatting amicably. Along with all this laughing and hugging, there was the clanging and banging of little ones, seated in groups on the stone floor. Each held an instrument of noise upon which they delightedly issued the loudest of possible noises. 

These tiny people played throughout the first hymn, and then were scooped up by mums and dads, to their Sunday School classes. A relative peace reigned.


There was an empty seat next to a lovely, white haired lady. I sat, and we began to talk as the tiny ones made their exit. I now call her The Sweetest Lady.

'How long have you attended here?' I asked her. 'Oh, about 50 years now, I suppose.' '50 years! Well, I'll bet you have seen a lot of changes over the years.' 'Oh, yes, there have been some changes.'

In the few minutes I spoke with her, she spoke kindly about these 'changes'. They were all things that could have disturbed the traditions of some, but she was upbeat and accepting of it all. She had stayed, and not left to find some more conventional environment elsewhere.

And there was not a moment that morning that her smile faded, even the least little bit. Long had she walked the Road, and in her eyes was the Light that had had time to settle in, and make itself at home.

I won't forget this sweetest of ladies. And I hope I will see her again, back in that C of E sanctuary, among the laughing and hugging, the teaching, and the clanging that takes place within those walls.

See you along the way!
the SconeLady



No comments:

Post a Comment