Sunday, July 13, 2014

Not Yet Old



All week long they had been asking, "When is Great Grandma coming?" and it had been hard to wait. 

Great Grandma Jessie was a lady they remembered from earliest of childhood, for she had lived nearby. Then she had moved far away. They wished to 'find her', only partly because there seemed always to be something for them in her bag of tricks; something lurking about that would be fun and interesting, and just right. 

Thus, the questioning; and the wishing.

Then there was a birthday, the epitome of fun. Cousins were there, and friends! Frogs were caught! Cake and pizza were eaten! Gifts were brought! And Great Grandma Jessie had come, watching all the fun and visiting with whomever was sitting near. She was having as much fun watching as they were having fun doing.

I think that age is in the eye of the beholder. So far I have not beheld it in her, yet. This must be because age has gone unnoticed, and gradual. She understands life. She is smart, and amazing at 90. 

A friend told me something a 3 year old boy had said to her when she was 65. The boy had suddenly looked up at her (she was very tall) and asked, "Willi, are you old?"

Willi didn't feel old, but.."Well yes, I suppose you could say I am," she replied.

He paused for a moment, and then said, "What were you like when you were new?"

I think of our mother as still 'new'. I can always call her and ask for advice (which she almost never gives). Her lemon meringue pies are still to die for. If anyone were to ask, "When is old, anyway?" I would have to say, "I'm not exactly sure, but I'm thinking it must be sometime after mom."

Sometime after mom. May it ever be so.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady


A 'little blond girl' quilt, lovingly made by Great Grandma Jessie


No comments:

Post a Comment