Thursday, July 31, 2014

..Before I Sleep..


The woods have always captivated my attention, and I have always wanted to live in them.

This dream did come true, and I am thankful. Lovely memories will follow as we make our way elsewhere; for our path winds a southerly route, now.

This Sweet Woodland Cabin..

The SconeLady walked many a mile here, and found the peace and calm she had hoped for. Where else would one find deer at frequent intervals, always gazing curiously out at the walking lady? Where else would there be piles of crisp white snow awaiting as she piles on the warmth of layers?

Whatever the weather, this sweet woodland town surrounded and comforted me for 20 months. More than that, the loved ones and friends of a lifetime offered an even better comfort, and I shall miss it all. This evening the cabin sits empty of its belongings; no one is there to rest companionably by the fire. The cozy chairs have gone, and that space awaits others who will, I am sure, love it well.

I think of a poem that perfectly describes this space I have grown to love. The words keep running through my thoughts as the sun goes down 90 miles distant:

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   

My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   

He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.
So this is a goodbye sadly spoken. But hello! has a nice sound, doesn't it? .. a sound I can almost hear now as I prepare to go, and keep some promises..


See you along the way!
the SconeLady





No comments:

Post a Comment