Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Beaujolais Club, and Other Lovelies


http://www.flickr.com/photos/sprengben/5136170057/

Downtown London is awash with entertainment so generous that one need never find an end to it, however long the stay. The SconeLady would be hard pressed to choose just which event was the most captivating in her own visit. But there was one sweet day that charmed and delighted from beginning to end.

I was to meet friend Rosie at King's Cross station. We would have a bit of a bite, standing, walking, talking. We would window shop. And! we would visit the Tate Modern, an art gallery right on the banks of the Thames (to call it an 'art gallery' is rather lame, especially since it is the most visited modern art gallery in this world!).

We did eat, we did window shop, and - hurray! - we did walk down to the Tate. We enjoyed our stay so much that we overstayed our stay. We were very nearly late meeting Ted at - drum roll - Le Beaujolais Club! 




Le Beaujolais is Ted's club in London, and I had always wished to go there. Upon arrival, we walked down winding stairs to an unusual and luxurious space below. A friendly voice boomed out, and we found ourselves embraced as if we were long lost relatives. Much was said that I did not understand (drat my neglect of all languages other than English!). Throughout our stay we were treated kindly, and felt ourselves favored.  


The meal was spectacular, followed by our choice of delicious cheeses (I believe there was a liquor, or some sort of drink I was unfamiliar with, but tasted!).

After a farewell embrace, we wound our way up the stairs and found a cab to take us to the final event of that day: the stage play War Horse. Another wish coming true! Playing at the West End's New London Theatre, this was everything I had hoped it would be. Those around us seemed as drawn in as were we, unable to think of the horses on stage as anything but Real.



As Ted, Rosie and I left the theatre to go our separate ways, we three were reluctant to end this magical day. For I would not see them again this trip.

I watched as Rosie boarded her train, wistfully waving her away. She had welcomed me throughout the entire month. She had fed me amazing dinners. She had taken trains to meet me at various places of my choice.

And now as I watched that train pull away, I did not have to imagine this friendship to be anything but Real.



See you along the way!
the SconeLady


photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sprengben/5136170057/">Sprengben [why not get a friend]</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment