Saturday, August 8, 2015

Good (and bad) Vibrations


It is funny to walk along the lengthy miles while listening to all sorts of opinionated people holding forth. I learn a lot. While I do not believe everything these opinionated ones say, I store it away and then find someone who really does make sense.

But my favorite walking past time is when one of my children calls. When the lovely daughter rings me along the way, we settle many of the problems of this wide world and find ourselves refreshed in the end. When it is the rather stunning son, the discussions can be about almost anything. Relationships, jobs, discovering what is right .. and then doing it. Terrific stuff.

We also talk a lot about music.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61368422@N03/13453439303

Lately we've discussed a Very Important Music Question: Who was better, The Beatles, or The Beach Boys? Yes! That is what we have been discussing - haha! I love it because I was there when the question was very first posed. We girls used to discuss it ad-nauseum (the boys were overtly uninterested), and we were split evenly on the answer. For me it was The Beatles - then. Today I began to doubt that vote, having listened to perhaps one of the nicest, sweetest, most beautiful songs penned in the 60s and beyond: Wouldn't It Be Nice?

We young baby boomers couldn't get enough of that song. 

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, and we wouldn't have to wait so long?
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
..we could be married, and then we'd be happy.
Oh wouldn't it be nice?

(you can get the rest of the lyrics here)

Utterly sweet!

And it isn't just that one song; there are troves:
  • Fun, Fun, Fun
  • Help Me Rhonda
  • Surfin' USA
  • Surfer Girl
  • In My Room
  • Graduation Day
  • Wish They All Could Be California Girls
and so many more.

Isn't it fun to listen to In My Room, and Graduation Day? For some reason those two songs call me back in a way nothing else can. I could listen to it for hours, whereas even 5 seconds of a Britney Spears song might send me rushing to the 'off' switch.

I might be biased, but it seems to me that the 1960s created some awfully great music. A whole lot nicer than stuff like 'Oops! I Did It Again'. (I'm not sure what she did again, but it can't have been anything very nice).


See you along the way!
the SconeLady



photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61368422@N03/13453439303">Record Player</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/">(license)</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment