Monday, March 10, 2014

Dylan and the Superbowl


Don't Think Twice


Chrysler Superbowl Commercial
2014

Did you know about the Bob Dylan Superbowl commercial? I didn't. We here at SconeTherapy did watch the Superbowl, and we did see a multitude of Superbowl commercials. But we missed that one.

I finally saw it recently and the thing was a surprise, a pretty pleasant one. At its end, we all cheered and laughed and you really must look it up and be amazed by it too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f_antolin/1428148840/
(Check it out at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlSn8Isv-3M).

Dylan was not only in the commercial, he essentially was the commercial, along with clips of America and Americans doing what we do. I was fascinated by it, catching glimpses of this folk singer/hero/harmonica-playing/songwriting/intentionally-out-of-tune performing grandfather. The quintessentially enigmatic Bob Dylan. 

He and his music have made themselves known for five remarkable decades. Much of my basic guitar playing developed while listening to his earliest songs. In 1979 my husband and I began hearing that Dylan would soon release a new album, Slow Train Coming, which would include songs about his newfound Christian faith. We were intrigued and excited and wanted to hear it.

When it arrived we brought it home, lit our candles and sat, holding hands and listening. We followed the lyrics on the album jacket and were mesmerized. It is hard to pick out just one favorite from that impressive list of 9. But if I had to, I would say that my top pick was I Believe In You

They ask me how I feel
And if my love is real
And how I know I’ll make it through.
And they, they look at me and frown
They’d like to drive me from this town
They don’t want me around
’Cause I believe in You.

I believe in You when winter turns to summer,
I believe in You when white turns to black.
I believe in You even though I be outnumbered.
Oh, though the earth may shake me
Oh, though my friends forsake me
Oh, even that couldn't make me go back.



(verse one and chorus two)

Read more: http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/i-believe-you#ixzz2vbcBPTvc

Dylan received criticism for this album from people who wanted the 'old Dylan' back. Who didn't like the clarity of the message given in Slow Train Coming. As the song above says, they didn't want him around. John Lennon (shortly before he died) recorded the song 'Serve Yourself' to refute Dylan's 'You're Gonna Have To Serve Somebody'. 

But Bob Dylan was never terribly concerned about the critics. He'd heard them before, and probably thought to himself, "It ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe."


"Don't think twice. It's all right."



See you along they Way!
the SconeLady


"I, I walk out on my own,
A thousand miles from home,
But I don't feel alone,
'Cause I believe in You."



photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/f_antolin/1428148840/">Stoned59</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>

2 comments:

  1. I know, me too! I purchased the song "I Believe In You" on iTunes and it is the best $.99 I ever spent. (We no longer have the LP).

    ReplyDelete