Saturday, March 29, 2014

1916 - and Counting


We were three families raising wheat and strawberries, and children. Our grandfather built the Barn (it must have a capital 'B') in 1916 and did it so meticulously that here it still stands. Strong and beautiful and much loved.




We returned today, and roamed again through this amazing Barn. Our cousin and his family have spent countless hours over the years, keeping the Barn and the property pristine; refurbishing and protecting it from the harsh elements. They knew, and know still, that it is a Treasure.

Our driver is my husband, who had never yet seen the inside of this Barn. My cousin kindly leads us to it and through it, sharing his knowledge of its history, its transformation to a wedding venue, and the ideas they have for its future. He has told this story to so many, but shares it today as though we are his first listeners.

Not very many can say they were raised within a few yards of such a Barn. That they had acres upon which to run and play, and laugh and fight. That they grew up able to work the strawberry fields before such an idea was banished for the young. That they had a rickety old bridge to cross each day, built over a deep culvert often filled with water. That they could walk out the door with no real idea of where they would go, or when they would return - for it was assumed by their mothers that they would return, or there would likely be a spanking (before such an idea was banished for the young..).


A lovely way to begin life! We moved from the farm when I was five, and went another direction. But we never forgot, and always loved, those acres and that Barn. And the family who were there to care for it.

Farms and barns all across this land are sturdy outposts of the love of that Old way. We should stand strong for those who are raising their children to work hard and enjoy the fruits of those labors. So that their children can work and run and play, and perhaps cross rickety old bridges built over deep water.

Before such an idea is banished for the young.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady



When I first came to this Land,
I was not a wealthy man.
So I got myself a farm,
And I did what I could.

So I got myself a farm,
I called that farm 'a muscle in my arm'.
But the land was sweet and good,
And I did what I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment