Sunday, March 30, 2014

Ain't She Sweet!


It is so much fun to celebrate a birthday for someone who is sweet and selfless, yet strong! This is my husband's mother, my mother-in-law (M-I-L) - everybody's favorite cook! 

She and I are sitting together, comfortably watching 'Martha's Cooking School'. Martha is baking Rack of Lamb and we are both mesmerized and wanting a taste. It is a favorite pastime for my M-I-L and me, and something we do at least once during any visit to her farm. You can read about one such visit in the blog post from October 30 (Four Generations, and Martha), where we delighted in watching Martha Bake scones.

Just now Martha is baking a black bass. Hmm. I am not as excited about the black bass. But if it's Martha, who am I to cast doubt?

And so we gathered around my M-I-L today, for her first birthday since her husband passed away in September. There have been a lot of 'firsts' since that day and we love being near her as each new 'first' arrives. Today, her three sons bring family members and friends for pizza, fruit, finger foods, and her homemade peach cobbler with ice cream. Oh - and M&M's; lots and lots of M&M's!                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/fmckinlay/2610256113/

Everyone has gone home, and we are yawning now as we watch The Pioneer Woman. Have you ever watched this, Dear Readers? This is my first time, and I am loving it! The Pioneer Woman is making Salisbury Steak, peas and carrots, Fettuccine Alfredo, and peanut butter chocolate pie. I would want a taste if I weren't so completely filled with much too much pizza, fruit, finger foods and cobbler (and M&M's..). I love watching cooking shows with my M-I-L because we both share an appreciation of foods and seasonings and tastes!

As the Pioneer Woman begins making lasagna and garlic cheese bread (she uses rather a lot of butter in almost everything, I notice - yummy!), we begin to wind down and think of sleep. The Pioneer Woman's family are all out in the pastures riding horses, herding cattle, and getting hungry. My husband is probably getting hungry. He would probably like some lasagna and garlic cheese bread. Or perhaps Salisbury Steak. Maybe I should think about making him some.

But maybe I should just leave that to Martha and The Pioneer Woman. I'm much too tired. 



Happy birthday, lovely M-I-L!
the SconeLady



photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/fmckinlay/2610256113/">f_shields</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">cc</a>



No comments:

Post a Comment