Friday, August 3, 2018

Wiltshire at its Creamiest


Dear Readers, within 24 hours I have gone from the smoggy freeways and screeching tires of southern California, to this:



The difference is almost absurd. Is it any wonder that the SconeLady cannot help herself? I am so close to the Cotswolds that I can almost reach out and touch them. 

Beginning at the airport, it was not difficult, and in fact it was really surprisingly pleasant. I don't know why, but the airline people told me to board the flight before almost everybody else, and then when I did board it, someone showed me to the best seat (almost) in the plane! It was some mysterious upgrade, but I promise you that I (being far too cheap) hadn't upgraded anything. Neither did I peep a word about it or say, "But WHY?" I knew enough to realize that if you remind people that you don't deserve something, they may believe you.

The seat was in the first row behind first class. You know? That row with TONS of leg space and nobody sitting in front of you because there are no seats in front of you. My seat mates were just as baffled to be there as I was, and stayed just as 'mum' about it.







So apart from feeling as though the plane might not survive the nerve-racking turbulence, it was great. I have, since landing, survived Customs, organized a UK SIM card, dashed to the Heathrow Express and Paddington, found that I had already missed my train (drat all airline delays), gotten another ticket (drat all unforgiving British rail rulings), gazed out the train window in awe, been picked up by a very generous B&B owner and taken to his amazing organic farm/B&B/pub/restaurant/pig pens/cattle paddocks/magical gardens, and an absolutely delicious dinner. Whew. 

But in only a moment all of this gazing and dashing must come to a stop, because my feet hurt. But to soothe your desires to see more, I will leave you with a few more snaps of the thatched homes that line these streets, just feet from my door. I can't believe it... all one must do is walk outside, take a step or two, and marvel.

Rule, Britannia.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady




 






















1 comment: