Saturday, August 4, 2018

The Many Kindnesses


Travel introduces you to a whole new set of lovely people whom you never even knew existed. I have been here for only one day, and already there is a stack of these folks - funny, and friendly, and unique. 

Let's see, there is the straightforward and generous owner of the B&B, always ready and willing to drive me around, even if he is busy. And then there are the two Italian brothers, Valerio (accent on the 2nd syllable) and William, who serve with a smile and search for non-menu items to tempt the American lady's palette. I may not always know what they are saying, but they are so happy that it doesn't really matter.

And then there is the stunningly beautiful girl behind the counter, who makes you think of Hollywood and not a Pub. I don't know her name, but someone, someday, will 'discover' her. These are all terrific people, and there is not even one grump among them. It goes back to what the Lovely Daughter has always said: The great thing about traveling in Europe is the fascinating people you meet along the way.


After the humongous breakfast I was given, it was time to open the door and go exploring. I cannot emphasize enough the contrast between walking here in Wiltshire, and walking in southern California. It really is almost laughable (I am, in fact, laughing). I love southern California for the people in it whom I love; but for walking, the paths and rural paddocks of England just can't be beat. It's not only the views, but the quiet. You hear nothing but birds and cows, and once in a while a transit van making a friendly delivery. 

Tomorrow is Sunday, and in the morning I will be in the church you see here, having Holy Communion, once again with people I never even knew existed. I can guess almost exactly what they will be like. They will be nice, and will welcome me and give me tea and biscuits, and ask what I am doing in remote Wiltshire. And then they will be utterly interested and smiling and sweet, and treat me as though I belong here. It will be worth the thousands of miles I flew, just for that alone.

And have I told you that I have been invited to Sunday Lunch, in an Englishman's home? with his wife, who has already asked me if there is anything I can't eat! This is sounding good, and I will tell you all about it tomorrow. It has everything to do with why I have come here, eager to create a new story, one that might captivate the imagination and draw you in. Because, dear Readers, it is always you that I think of and am writing towards. Did you know that?


See you along the way!
the SconeLady












1 comment: