Monday, August 6, 2018

The Mysterious Past



It was a day spent padding around an ancient set of buildings that house a boarding school, while listening to a man who used to be its Headmaster. How can life get any better than that? What a kind privilege to be so welcomed! Both the school and the Headmaster were charming, and on more than one occasion, I laughed out loud. It was impossible not to.

There is a reason for all of this charm and laughter which you will hear about one day if I am successful in my quest. I am ready for you to hear about it NOW, but I must RESIST shouting about it just yet - creativity must be gently eased, not thrust upon people. So...easy does it. 

But I come back over and over to the generosity of the people here who are willing to help. Willing to open doors, willing to answer multiple questions from 'the American lady'. And willing to drive me around. I didn't mean for this to happen, but anyway, it did. 

Yesterday the guest next door to my room said, "Ahh, you're an American."

"Guilty as charged," I said, and we both laughed. 

"I've noticed you walking quite a lot. Didn't you hire a car?"

"Umm, no.." I said.

"Heavens, why not?" she replied, with a glance at the full parking lot.

"I can only say, I haven't needed to. In fact I've been driven around by no fewer than four people since Friday. And there will be one more tomorrow."

It is all too true. It's like that around this place, this tiny village where the people have known each other for the whole of their lives, and whose mothers were probably all friends. 

It's nice. In fact, it's lovely. And I'll sleep all the better for it.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady




























1 comment: