Sunday, August 26, 2018

A Lifestyle



Yesterday...was a gift. People are talking today about what a gift it was. The sunshine and mild temperatures, along with the aromas of the flowers lining the sidewalks just about bowled me over. And oh, the Mount! It was the most splendid part of yesterday, resting out there in the Atlantic so immense and so calm.

The beginning of yesterday
It was changeover day and that is why Marazion is in my frame. New cottage, different streets, fewer tourists, and the Mount to gaze at whenever you feel like it. Upon arrival, I quickly put everything neatly away (Mother trained us well), then dashed out of doors to explore. 

The map revealed a public footpath I hadn't known about before! I instantly stepped onto it. You must walk east, and then let the winding way take you out across farmland and beachheads. Other walkers are discovering it, too, nodding and smiling at me as if I belonged there. I end up at the Mount just as the sun is beginning to set, delighted with the colors splashing themselves on sea and sky. 




There is a lone sailor out there, silent and splendid, hovering near the shores of the Mount for the sun won't linger too long, and our sailor will need to make tracks. I can sense the need to stay out in it, while it lasts. 




It became chilly, and people started making their way back to their homes, or cottages, or hotels. There is a fun mix of tourist and citizen, here. I think the tourists envy the citizens for the fact that they get to stay, while the citizens envy the tourists for their opportunity to be tourists; to not work; to play; to eat out; to run on the beach and forget work for a time. 

It is one of the reasons I stay longer than most; I get to be both tourist and citizen, and sort of drift between the two. "On holiday?" someone will ask. And I pause. 

"Well, it isn't really a holiday; it's a lifestyle." Ahh, Cornwall.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady









No comments:

Post a Comment