Thursday, August 16, 2018

Mevagissey


The question often comes up, and I am hard pressed to give an answer. Doesn't Cornwall have any other magnificent villages you can visit and stay in? 

I've tried, dear Readers, and have gone to other spots of Cornwallian beauty as possible additions to, if not replacements for, St Ives. Nothing so far has come close. So I tried again, today, and went to Mevagissey. It's a village I had heard of and wanted to visit for ages, with a stunning harbor, tea shops, galleries, cottages, and cliffs - almost the way you might describe St Ives. Mevagissey is spectacularly beautiful, as you can see here. And yet, sooner than I had expected to, I had seen enough and was already looking up earlier buses and trains back. 

I highly recommend visiting it, though, and there are some great things I did that you would enjoy doing as well:


  • take a 30 minute boat trip along the coastline
  • have lunch at Tea On The Quay, just feet from the water
  • walk up the steep roads until you feel you can't take another step, turn around, and stand in awe of the ocean below you
  • go inside a coffee shop that isn't crowded and order a pot of tea for one, to enjoy while you write postcards to your grandchildren
  • wander through the 3-story Mevagissey Museum (free of charge!) and see artifacts and photos from back in the day. An elder Docent and his wife will tell you anything you want to know about fishing in Mevagissey when he was just a lad.

All of this, and more, I did. But in the end,the bus and train couldn't get me back here fast enough. I scurried off the little train, up the hill, down the hill, along the harbor, dodging people and prams, sprinted to the pier, turned around, and looked. 

There it was.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady


  
Mevagissey Harbor, today






1 comment:

  1. It is one thing to be reminded of 'the real thing', and then when you are at the 'real thing' there is a mighty sigh of "YES"! Got it!

    ReplyDelete