Sunday, August 5, 2018

Church Walk




It was time for breakfast, but next to impossible to feel any sort of hunger. Since landing here at the Organic Farmhouse Pub Bed and Breakfast Pig Field and Cow Paddocks, I have done almost nothing besides EAT. But since breakfast is included in the stay, I took myself over to where I knew there would be mounds of amazing farm food. The chef was clearly at his tip-top best.

But I had to hurry and eat because - church! I mustn't be late for church! Our mother had trained us that being late for church was some kind of mysterious 'no-no'... and we believed herSo just at the stroke of 8:30, I touched the heavy wooden door and swung it open. At the very front of the massive stone church, there were six people and the Vicar. No bell was ringing and no organ was playing. But as I approached the little group, they turned 7 beaming faces in my direction. "Welcome, welcome!" said the Vicar. "There is a seat here just for you."

I followed the service sheet, speaking the well-loved words of the Anglican Communion along with the kindly people surrounding me. I forgot all about the organ and the bell, because the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Epistle, the Psalm, and the Gospel were so much more important. 

Many other wonderful things happened today, my 2nd full day in Wiltshire. I:

- was picked up and driven for miles to the ancient stone house I had come here to find
- heard from the owner about the wonderful man who once lived there, and what it was like in 'the old days'
- was given a delicious Sunday Lunch by the lovely and gracious Sarah, sitting outside around her beautiful table
 - was driven around Swindon and heard the fascinating history of how Brunel organized and built the railway system there. No one knows their history like the Brits!

And did you know that it was Brunel who also built the Saltash Bridge, between Devon and Cornwall? He did! and I will see it again as I ride the easy railway miles between here, and St Ives. 

But that is a story for another day. 

See you along the way!
the SconeLady
















1 comment:

  1. Where do you find so many wonderful and willing folk! I miss being with you, and tasting, touching, and consuming your experiences along the way!

    ReplyDelete