Friday, August 10, 2018

Great Fat Lobster


The familiar colors of a fishing boat caught my attention, a lone fisherman at the helm. I could see that the tide was going out, and he appeared to be in a hurry. Fishermen always get into a hurry when the tide is going out, because if it goes out and all of the fish (or lobster, or crab) aren't out of the boat, he might become stuck. I know this because a St Ives fisherman told us about it, last year. His stories were fascinating and he even took the 10-year-old out in his little skiff and let him hold a Lobster

Something about this fisherman reminded me of that fisherman. Both of them wore yellow rubber coveralls to keep the sea water out, and both wore a red cap. I began to hope...could it be...was it Stuart?

By now the fisherman had anchored his boat and gotten into the skiff to make the short distance to the pier. Out of it he hopped, climbing up the iron ladder. I held up an iPhone which by now reflected the FaceTime faces of two blond boys. 

"Is that Stuart?" asked one.

The fisherman looked at me, and then at my phone.

"Are you Stuart?" I repeated, hoping that he was, but wanting to be sure.

"Yes, yes, Stuart here. And I recognize them."

"Hello," said the boys, all the way from California.

"Hello," said Stuart. "Want to see some fine lobster?"

A crowd was beginning to gather as this little conversation developed. It was interesting to hear a Cornish fisherman conversing with a blond boy from California all while dashing about and carrying absolute bucketfuls of lobster up and down an iron ladder.



"May we take pictures too?" asked one man.

"Of course!" said Stuart, causing a number of phone cameras to begin snapping away.

The lobsters wriggled eerily in their buckets as he placed them onto the weighing machine, and then he brought over a bucket filled with crab. These crabs wriggled even more than the lobster had, and waved their strange looking claws in our direction. "Snap! Snap!" clicked the claws.

"Ew!" said a girl, backing away.

Soon it was time for Stuart to store away his awesome catch, and head to his customers. "A lotta people are going to eat a lotta good seafood, tonight," he declared with a smile.


Hmm. This gave me an idea.

"Stuart?" I hesitated.

"Yes?" 

"What if I bought a lobster or two from you next month?" Friends and family would be coming, and visions of a lobster dinner were giving me goosebumps. Melted butter, fresh lemon juice ... maybe some rice?

"Oh sure," he said. "Just come down - any day but Sunday, I never work on a Sunday - and we'll pick you out a couple of great fat ones."

He said goodbye, and the little crowd began to dissipate. The sun was hovering just above the horizon, showing off a magnificent Cornish sunset.

"Are we going to get a great fat lobster too, Mummy?" said the girl.

Her mother laughed. "I thought you didn't like those ugly old things."

The sound of their voices faded as they went one way, and I another. I strolled back toward the middle of the village, watching the last of the sunset over the sea. Anybody who has seen a sunset like that over an ocean bordered by the whitest sands you will ever see, knows what I am talking about. Now add a lobster into that mix.

You're getting the goosebumps. Right?


See you along the way!
the SconeLady
















1 comment:

  1. Goosebumps, upon goosebumps! Oh, the meal will be the real deal!!!!

    ReplyDelete