Thursday, August 23, 2018

Comparisons



The only way to enjoy a fishing village without its layer of tourists, is to get outside before they have a chance to. That is what I did, today. And it was terrific:





The only other walking creature I saw, was a cat.

And although the day began in St Ives, it hasn't ended there. In my quest to discover another great fishing village, I hopped onto the train to Falmouth, where I am now curled up in a B&B writing to you. In the morning I shall take the ferry up the Fal River and see what I can see along the way. Falmouth to Truro. An adventure! 

In Falmouth, so far I have: 
  • crept through a spooky (but very pretty) churchyard, 
  • walked 10 miles to get the lay of the place, 
  • tried to crash a private dinner party on the beach (well, it was accidental), 
  • eaten an American hot dog instead,
  • perused the Harbor for fishing boats, 
  • and given my foot a blister. 
The whole time, I found myself listening for babies and envying their grandmothers. They were everywhere - in boats, on the harbor, in restaurants, being propelled in prams along the sidewalks, and sitting on beaches eating sand. 

Everywhere, I tell you. They are everywhere. Suddenly, seeing a very pretty churchyard doesn't at all compare with holding a little curly-headed blond sprite, just learning how to walk.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady
👶


Falmouth Churchyard, Cornwall

 Falmouth Harbor changing rooms

Peeking out toward the English Channel




1 comment:

  1. Oh, the heart of a grandma! It is good news that there are so many babies to reenergize ENGLAND! 'Lord, please bless the USA in the same way!!'

    ReplyDelete