Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Things to Do In St Ives that Taste Good

St Ives Sea Bream

Every trip to Cornwall should include fresh fish cooked on one's own cottage stove - in butter, salt and pepper (Just think 'Julia Child'!). The other night I cooked Sea Bream (above), and if I'd had any extra goodies like lemon, tartar sauce, or tsatsiki sauce, I would certainly have included them. But I purposely don't have any of those things because if I go around buying things like that, I will only have to carry them with me on Changeover Day, which is very hard on the back. 

Have you ever cooked Sea Bream?  It wasn't as dramatic as killing and boiling a lobster, and it wasn't as delicious as a lobster. But it was oh, so good. When I bought it from our little fish shop by the Wharf, I didn't know it would have so many bones. Believe it or not, there were bones on the inside of the Bream, and bones on the OUTSIDE of it. You may have had fish with outside bones, but I have not. Luckily, I cooked it for just the right amount of time and the right amount of butter, because both the inside and the outside bones FELL STRAIGHT OFF, and I didn't choke.

Speaking of food and fish, I looked for fisherman Stuart again today. Smeaton's Pier is where to find him, so I have walked up and down it every day on the off chance he might be hanging out there. I am not in the habit of walking around looking for other women's husbands, don't get me wrong. But I am interested because wherever Stuart is, a lobster will be in the vicinity. Even though killing and boiling a lobster is a creepy business, its taste is so irresistible that I cannot help wandering around looking for Stuart.

Soon after this, I met my good friend Pennie and her good friend Jayne, to drive out to a sweet little tea/coffee/lunch place called 'Nance'. We were hungry for sweet things, so I ordered a Cream Tea (with the scone warmed, and lashings of jam and clotted cream), and they each ordered carrot cake to eat whilst listening to my woeful tale of flight delays, lost taxi cabs, bag-dragging in the pitch dark late at night, and laying down on cobblestones trying to open a key safe. My friends were properly alarmed, and possibly wondered why I kept laughing instead of crying. It is a bit odd, but once the experience was over and I was safely inside my doll's-house-of-a cottage, the horror ended. Maybe I am still secretly hysterical, and it just keeps popping out at odd moments,

But as any world traveler will tell you, you're going to have highs and lows, goods and bads. It's best if you'll just roll with it. You can't possibly be any worse off than the Boeing astronauts who have been stuck in space for over two months now - and they don't get to go home until next February!

Talk about flight delays.


See you along the way!

the SconeLady

Dive-bombing seagulls


                                                         View from Smeaton's Pier



No comments:

Post a Comment