Sunday, September 22, 2024

They Are Hollywood


St Uni Church yesterday

 My dear Readers, after we did some reconnaissance surrounding the concert, we did get to see and hear THE FISHERMAN'S FRIENDS!! Reconnaissance is an important ingredient when it comes to a concert venue, and friend Rosie was a Brick to take us all out to Hayle. There we found:

-there would be food provided (an Ann's Pasties booth) (for a cost)

-there would be toilets (free port-o-potties)

-I would probably need a chair

-there would be good parking (for a cost)

-and beer. There would be lots of beer.

There was a little bit of a shock when we first saw how EXTREMELY LONG the queue was for the Pasties. But the taste of the Pasties was actually so good that no one worried about the line after that. In fact, the Cornish were jolly about absolutely everything. They held beer glasses and big grins on their faces no matter what queue they were in. The Cornish girls had to be cold because the poor things hardly had any outdoor clothes on at all. The Cornish boys were not at all unhappy about the outdoor clothes, and liked the girls and were jolly.



At some point in the queue I remembered the 1969 event called 'Woodstock' where thousands of Youth crammed themselves onto a farmer's field and proceeded to royally mess it up. Of course it rained, and after that nobody could find the loo's and everything fell to bits. Only no one cared. There was lots of beer and other entertaining things for the Youth to do.

Do you remember it? Of course you do. I do even though I was not there. My mother ...

 friend Rosie suddenly remembered something about Woodstock. Not the American Woodstock in New York. It was the British Woodstock which happened at almost the same time as ours did. Not as enormous, but the two events had something in common - it was possible that hardly anybody remembered what happened. Anyway, friend Rosie was there, and when I heard this I began to pump her with Woodstock questions. This lasted until almost the end of the Pastie line.

Then about mid-Pastie, something wonderful happened. A line of men began to take the stage and pick up their instruments and smile at us to beat the band, and played. It was Loud, but just the right amount of Loud so as not to knock your block off. I was not even sure they were THEM, and had to ask the lady next to me.

"Is that THEM?" I sort of shouted. She looked at me like, "Well duh!", but replied,

"Yep! It's THEM!" 

I couldn't help it and began jumping up and down the way I had at the Brandon Lake/Phil Wickham concert in August. Jumping up and down and round and round, until I got tired and stopped to listen. By that time they were on the 3rd song. Oh, they were grand! They were nice. They liked us. And we, dear Readers, liked THEM back.

I never could figure out if the two Cornish singers from the night before were a part of THEM, but it didn't really matter. The Fisherman's Friends are in a class by themselves. As one St Ives man said, "Oh, them? They're Hollywood now. They're not Cornish."

But I think differently about all that. They are not only Cornish, they have put 'Cornish' on the map of the world, and people are wanting more.

They sang without a break for an hour and a half, doing encores and laughing and being hilarious. The guy with a super deep voice was especially hilarious, and bounced around on the stage in the fun of just being a part of it. 

But it became time to stop, and they left, and then we left, laughing about it all the way back to the car park. I still can't believe I jumped around like that. Have you ever done it?

It's kind of fun.



See you along the way!

the SconeLady









No comments:

Post a Comment