Sunday, September 8, 2024

A Baptist Again in High Church England

  I came to choir practice on Tuesday night, and was astonished at how good this choir really is. The choir master had kindly sent me the music, via email, which gave me a big hint about the level of expertise. 

 Because from an early age I could sing a good four-part harmony (we were Baptists), I felt I should be up for just about anything. I could follow a director and read music, not to mention the fact that I had sung professionally for a couple of decades.

 But - this was TOTALLY DIFFERENT. These songs were beautiful and complicated, and unknown to me. Nothing could be more different to what I experience each Sunday in a worship band/drum/guitar/bass environment. 


The other choir members asked me about my own church choir experiences.

"Does your church sing similar songs to these?"

"Ah...no. We sing songs you might hear on a rock station. They are really pretty good songs, too. But nothing like this."

"What denomination are you?"

"Baptist." They nodded as if this explained a lot.

Even though I was more nervous this time around, I had so much help that nothing terrible had a chance to happen! The ladies surrounding me kept me moving in the right direction, pointed out where we were in a song, and encouraged me in countless ways. 

It reminded me of the years long ago when Laura Jean White used to work endlessly with our youth choir, getting us ready to join the 'big' guys. Talk about learning to read music! She had us so steeped in it that those notes stayed permanently locked into our little brains. And guess what? It's still in there! I can learn to sing Gracious music in a Church of England, and then go home and sing my heart out to the tune of a rock band. 

As I walked down Fore Street after church, I could hear the sound of singing. The Fore Street Methodists were having themselves a hymn-sing, and the doors were wide open. The one I could hear was "What A Friend We Have In Jesus". Now that's a four part harmony I could sing in my sleep, note by note. 

Thank the Lord, and Laura Jean White.


See you along the Way!
the SconeLady


No comments:

Post a Comment