Monday, September 23, 2024

Sometimes There Is Cake

Trencom Hill, September 20, 2024


 I am perfectly set up for a tasty dinner (Margarita Pizza from the wharf), and have looked forward to eating it all day. My friends have gone home now, so I had to forage for food alone and without their expertise. Their food expertise is amazing and I always learn new things when they are around. And anyway, I knew enough to forage for the Margarita Pizza all by myself.

 I ate the first half of it for last night's dinner, and already knew that it was brilliant. Then I saw a cake in a window. It was a four layer chocolate cake with thick chocolate icing in between (both ingredients were unbelievably dark and very irresistible). I paused. 

The cake was in a tea shop that used to be called Madelines's, back when my sister and I came here and felt like having cake. The trouble that day was that the cake looked delicious but wasn't, and we never went back in there.

 I had to admit, though, that today's cake truly was delicious, and wonderfully moist. The lady behind the counter stood transfixed, watching me eat it (this was not altogether comfortable). My little table allowed me to look out the window to the world of St Ives - its never-ceasing shoppers, tourists, locals, dogs, its occasional cats, and rare policeman. It was raining a little, but those within were cozy and warm.

I thought of my friends, so recently whisked away. Our Em had gone back home the day before, hoping to make it in time to bake a Victoria Sponge for church the next day. Friend Rosie had driven north to see a beautiful daughter whose face is never without a smile. And I can pretty well guess that the first thing they all did when they got home was to put the kettle on. 

They are always putting the kettle on. And sometimes, there is cake. 

See you along the way!

the SconeLady


P.S. I just noticed -at the bottom of this page- a video from the Fisherman's Friends concert. I don't know how it got there, but it belongs to the one called 'They Are Hollywood'. Watch it! It's a good one.













No comments:

Post a Comment