Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Another Moment at Paul Church



Just as the choir began their third song, the door to the church opened, and in walked the sweetest lady. She was white of hair, bearing a cane, and making her way slowly down the steps and into the church. A younger man approached, hugged, and led this lady around to where we sat listening.

"He's my grandson," she said to me in a stage whisper, as he walked back to the choir.

"Oh, how nice!" I replied, and she sat down.

The song continued (it was Abide With Me), and I got the goosebumps a lot, due to the beauty of the harmonies and the words. Soon, I noticed that she was getting the goosebumps too. I know she was because I could see her getting them - I would glance back at her, and she would laugh and clap soundlessly, while I laughed and clapped soundlessly, multiple times. It was very sweet. I'd rarely seen a more proud grandmother than that one.

After a while I felt a touch on my shoulder, and turned. She said (in a stage whisper), "Have they done And Can It Be, yet?"

"No, not yet - but Eric told us that they plan to do it tonight. Maybe they are saving the best for last!" She laughed, and clapped silently, and we were both very excited about this possibility.

Then the choir Director, whose Cornish accent I could not understand and have never been able to understand, said (I think) that the rehearsal was ended, and would everyone please put their music away and listen to some instructions.

"But - what about And Can It Be?" she whispered, as the men rustled the music into their folders. 

"Oh dear," I said. "It doesn't look as though we are going to hear it tonight. I'm sorry, because it is my favorite, too." She nodded, and listened to the little instructional meeting going on in the choir. When it ended and the men began to disperse, she said (in her normal voice this time), "It was very nice meeting you, Dear!"

"And very nice meeting you, too!" I said. We shook hands, and then, hesitating for only a moment, hugged. I didn't know this lovely woman, and certainly would not have known her had I met her on the street. But now it feels as though I somehow do know her, and would recognize her if I met her, some day, on the street. I hope I do meet her again. It would be a privilege.

But even if I don't meet her again, this side of Glory, I most certainly will, on THAT side. One way or another, she will either get There first, or I will, and something tells me that we will get to hear our favorite song when we do.

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior's Love?
Died He for me, who caused His pain,
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be?
That Thou, my God shouldst die for me?



See you along the Way!
the SconeLady




1 comment:

  1. I'm 'hearing' the question 'And can it be that I should gain...' and can answer, "YES" by His grace through faith! And the music goes on and on!

    ReplyDelete