Friday, June 12, 2015

Things I Would Like to Say (If I Can Remember to Say Them) To Rick Steves


(Dear Readers, The SconeLady will be speaking with Rick Steves today! And tomorrow I will tell you all about how it went. In the meantime, below are some of the things I hope to remember to tell him):


It would be so much fun if a person (the SconeLady, perhaps) was able to speak with Rick Steves one to one, about traveling to some lovely spot under the sun. To ask him questions and find out what he would think of such a spot. To learn whether he has himself already been to it (probably!), and what it was he found there.

In this dream of mine there are some things I would surely say, dreamlike, of course, accompanied by laughter. These are some of the things that I would say:



"Hello, Rick, it's lovely to hear you!"

"I discovered scones, and travel, in New Zealand in the 1970's, and have been fascinated by them ever since."

"How did I become the SconeLady? Well, after a spinal surgery I wasn't allowed inside a vehicle for one year, so for physical therapy I walked 10 miles each day while listening to Travel With Rick Steves. After that year was over, I went on a walking tour in England, searching for the best scone in that lovely land - and then blogged about it! And that is how SconeTherapy was born."

"The best scone in all of England (at least, the best that I personally found) was in St Ives Cornwall at The Digey Food Room. It was more than delicious, it was stupendous. Josh is their amazing scone baker, and has been kind enough to appear on the SconeTherapy blog."




"The second best scone I found in England resides in Cambridge, at Auntie's Tea Shop - 1 St Mary's Passage. They have a wonderful Afternoon Tea. Again, absolutely delightful."


"What are the most important qualifications of a really terrific scone? Ok, here is my list:


  • warm, just out of the oven
  • just sweet enough
  • of respectable size and weight
  • brushed with an egg wash before baking
  • baked in a hot oven, at intervals, all day long. No 're-heating' of scones. Ever!
  • served with lashings of jam and either clotted cream, or whipped cream
"Be a scone seeker. Because everybody needs a little Scone Therapy now and then."


Watch this space, for tomorrow I will tell you all about how it went.



See you along the way!
the SconeLady




No comments:

Post a Comment