Friday, June 26, 2015

Standing On The Cusp


One thousand miles north of home we sit together and think of the Event that is only a day away, remembering when it was our turn. Mother sits here next to me - she, my planning partner in those busy days when there were a hundred things still to do and no time. But were we worried? No! We were too excited to be worried. 






Standing on the cusp of Holy Matrimony is an awesome place for a Bride and Groom to be, all filled with joys and responsibilities. There was so much we didn't know, but were willing to learn. "Mom, will I be good enough?" I ventured.

"Oh yes, you'll be up to it, never fear - with God's strength, of course."

My father had come a distance for this occasion, and we two stood together just around the corner from my Groom. "Where is he, daddy?" I whispered.

My father peered around the corner. "Just about 10 yards down," he whispered back.



"What! Let's go back to the Bridal room, I shouldn't be 'seen'."

So we went back and hid amongst the clutter left behind by a Bride and her 7 maidens - shoes, clothes, makeup, hairspray everywhere. Until finally..

"It's time!" said an urgent voice outside in the hallway. The organ music floated out toward us where we stood at-the-ready:


"Like a river glorious, is God's perfect peace.
Overall victorious, in its bright increase.
Perfect, yet it floweth fuller every day;
Perfect, yet it groweth deeper all the way."

We watched as the bridesmaids and groomsmen made their gradual way to the front, waiting with anticipation for the Big Moment - the moment when Mother would stand.

"Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blessed,
Finding as He promised perfect peace and rest."

And then, suddenly it was our turn. The organ majestically paused, and then opened up in the deep chords that would hail the arrival of the Bride. Was I that lucky girl? I could hardly believe it, and my heart bounced around as Dad took my arm. And my mother stood and looked back at me, smiling. She was beautiful. Then everyone stood and the organ boomed out the sweetest song in all of Christendom..

"Oh Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hands have made.
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed!"

We walked slowly down that aisle and saw ahead the attendants, the flowers, the candles, the minister, and the GROOM! - all waiting, all focusing, upon us. Down and down we went to the front until we came face to face with that young man, ready and waiting there for me. 

"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!"

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered this day in the sight of God and this company, to join together this man and this woman..." began the minister, as we two grasped hands. It was time. It was just as we had hoped.

"Who gives this woman to be wedded to this man?"

"Her family and I do," said my father. And the rest is history.


****
Tomorrow's lovely and brilliant Bride awaits her Groom, and we all await them both. The solemnity mingles with the joy and the excitement, the clear confidence being that God is faithful, over all.


For this is Holy Matrimony: "Those whom God has joined together, let no man put asunder."



See you along the Way!
the SconeLady

No comments:

Post a Comment