Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Never Plain, This Jane (3)


It Was a Masterpiece

In my near despair at ever finding an Edward Rochester who measures up, a kind reader (sister) helped. I had searched, truly I had - but there are only so many hours in a day and so many movie Rochesters one can judge. And so, I missed a real gem. In fact, a Masterpiece.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ticklemepen/4570226521/
Dear Readers, do you know about Masterpiece Theatre? Masterpiece Classic? Masterpiece Mystery and Masterpiece Contemporary? Well, Masterpiece is exactly what the name purports, and offers the very best of the British. One must never say there is 'nothing' to watch so long as Masterpiece exists. Just think of Downton Abbey, Sherlock, Cranford, Sense and Sensibility, and Pride and Prejudice. Not to mention Mr. Selfridge, Upstairs Downstairs II, and Call the Midwife! I should have known this treasure trove would include a Jane Eyre/Mr Rochester worthy of high acclaim. And boy, does it ever deliver!

The fact that it's a Mini Series helps a lot because there is time to develop the important bits. A possible miss was in the early scenes with Helen Burns. Helen is one of my favorite characters, and you almost cannot know why Jane turned out the way she did, without knowing Helen Burns. But for the sake of the rest of the story, I suppose I can forgive this ONE LARGE OVERSIGHT.

And Mr Rochester is sterling. The actor's name is Toby Stephens, and do you want to know WHO HIS MOTHER IS??? (I'm giving you 10 seconds to guess..). Ok - his mother is: 

MAGGIE SMITH!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is true, Maggie Smith really is Toby's mother! And really, that alone is enough to give this Eyre version a serious look. I am so glad I did. So, 'Thank You' to the sweet Reader who alerted me to this Masterpiece. 

For the moment I might lay aside my movie research Jane-ward. The truth is, no one can - or ever will - improve upon that splendid book. The one thing they almost all leave out is the absolute Christianity embedded within its pages. In spite of the hardships endured by Jane, she comes back, and back, to Him. Take a look at the final sentence of the final chapter. 

Mr Rochester isn't Jane's only Love.



See you along the way!
the SconeLady







photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ticklemepen/4570226521/">froussecarton</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/">cc</a>

2 comments:

  1. Don't bother with Wuthering Heights. I hated that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard it isn't anywhere near as good as Jane Eyre. Have you read the other sister Anne's book, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall?

    ReplyDelete