Saturday, June 7, 2014

My Home Town (7)


The sun is setting over the wheat fields, and the SconeLady may dash back to the streets of small town, USA. It may have been a long day (pancake breakfast in the park, the parade, BBQ lunch with loved ones near the Barn, an Alumni Banquet surrounded by old and young), but I am not really ready for it to end. And after all, it's only 9 miles. Why not? 

It reminds me of an earlier reunion, when I was at this same motel and Mother was with me. As we drove up, fully expecting to get the kids out and into their beds, I suddenly said, "Mom. Can you put the kids to bed? I really might go back to the Long Branch!"

Being the good woman she is, she said, "Of course! We'll be fine, you go ahead." And, I did.

As I pulled up outside the Long Branch, I could hear the sounds of a band inside. A country/western band, of course. You wouldn't hear rock or rap in a place called the Long Branch, I suppose. Lots of boots stomping as people did some kind of line dance. As I walked in I heard a shout of, "There she is! Hooray!!" followed by cheers and applause. There, in the corner, were my classmates watching the door as one by one other classmates appeared. With each appearance, applause and shouts rang out.

It was a great night. I don't know if there was drinking, and there probably was. But for me, all the fun was non alcoholic. It had been ten years and there was much more to catch up on - a bit difficult, with all the noise, but we did it. Nobody wanted to go home.



I'm pretty sure they are back there, tonight. Perhaps waiting at the corner table, watching for who might come through the door. 

Maybe I should dash back. After all, it's only 9 miles. Why not?


See you along the way!
the SconeLady

No comments:

Post a Comment