Monday, April 14, 2014

Watching Bubba Win



Until yesterday I had not known there was anyone called Bubba Watson. My only Bubba memory had been that great friend of Forrest Gump, Bubba Blue ("I gotta find Bubbaaaaaaa...!!"). And he was a really good Bubba, a memorable one.  
                          
https://www.flickr.com/photos/suendercafe/7181782415/

So when I heard that someone else named Bubba was about to win the Master's Golf Tournament, right there in front of us, I woke up. I was snoozing on a comfy couch at the birthday party of a beautiful 22 year old; had slipped up to the loft (a.k.a. 'Man Cave') for 40 winks and was just as comfortable as can be, when up the stairs came four men, ready for their golf.

"Yes, Bubba is going to win in just a few minutes now...he is 3 strokes ahead...they're on their last hole...probably 2 strokes to go...ok now this other golfer is going to tie for 2nd place...now if Bubba sinks this put, he will be the Winner..."

These are the words I heard as I floated up and out of my snooze; not moving yet, just listening. By then becoming interested, I struggled to open my eyes. I heard some more, as I squinted toward the television:

  • that Bubba Watson always weeps upon winning a tournament
  • that he has a baby boy whom he loves
  • that he has a very tall wife whom he adores
  • that he isn't your typical star golfer
  • that he just plays golf in whatever way he feels it at the time
  • that he has no agenda apart from being good at it
Whatever. It works.

It was so fun to see his final putt, to watch that ball slide right into the hole, making him the winner. To watch as he began to weep; to see his 2 year old son toddle toward him on the green. To have a front row view as his tall and beautiful wife hugged him and their boy, a stunning threesome. To see last year's winner put the Green Jacket on Bubba, making it official. It was all so, so much fun.

At the beginning of the day I didn't know there was a Bubba Watson. Didn't even know there was a Master's Tournament. By the day's end, I knew all of that and more than I ever thought I would, about golf.

And so, dear Readers, the takeaway for me yesterday was this: if you want to find a golfer with heart, if you want to feel like golf might not be so boring after all, if you want to see a real man weep -

YOU GOTTA FIND BUBBA!


See you along the way!
the SconeLady















photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/suendercafe/7181782415/">suendercafe</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment